Fishing Licenses Available
Inside the Outdoors Jan. 9, 2009

Now that January is here, two things come to mind very quickly – cold weather and the second month fishing licenses are available for sale. Ever since the first of December, people have had the opportunity to purchase these permits either as gifts for the anglers in their families or for themselves as a way of getting ready for the seasons to follow.

For those who may not have gone online to learn how much licenses cost this year, or not purchased licenses and trout/salmon stamp or combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie permits, the cost is as follows: Resident, age 16-64 - $22.70; Senior Resident, 65 and up - $11.70; Senior Resident – Lifetime, 65 and up - $51.70; 1 – Day Resident, 16 and up, - $11.70; National Guard and Armed Forces Reserve (resident), 16 and up - $2.70; Prisoner of War (resident), 16 and up - $2.70; Prisoner of War – Senior Lifetime (resident) - $2.70; Non-Resident, 16 and up - $52.70; 7-Day Tourist, 16 and up - $34.70; 3-Day Tourist, 16 and up - $26.70; 1-Day Tourist (includes all privileges), 16 and up - $26.70; Trout/Salmon Stamp, 16 and up – 9.70; Lake Erie Permit, 16 and up - $9.70; and Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit, 16 and up - $15.70. Prices listed include all agent and transaction fees. National Guard, Armed Forces Reserve and Prisoner of War fishing licenses are available only at the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and county treasurer offices.

If a fisherman (or woman) is going out for the first time, he (or she) may be asked by an agent whether or not either wants to buy a Trout/Salmon stamp.

By definition, the Trout/Salmon stamp is a permit required when anglers fish for trout and salmon in Pennsylvania waters. A person fishes for trout or salmon when one of the following applies:

  • The person takes, kills or possesses a trout or salmon while in the act of fishing on or in waters of Pennsylvania or boundary waters;
  • The person fishes in waters under special trout regulations, wilderness trout streams or their tributaries, or Class A wild trout waters or their tributaries;
  • The person fishes in streams or rivers designated as approved trout waters or their tributaries during the period from 8 a.m. on the opening day of trout season until 12:01 a.m. on the first Saturday in May. Approved trout waters are listed in the Commission’s Summary of PA Fishing Regulations and Laws.

When one is issued a license, he should request a Summary booklet if he is not given one. This is jam-packed full of information of which every angler should be acquainted. This includes seasons/sizes and creel limits, listings of special regulation areas and approved trout waters, tips on fish and fishing, fish consumption advisories, reptile and amphibian seasons and limits, Commission property regulations, and much, much more.

Here is a question I used to get year after year when sportsmen applied for their fishing licenses when I owned Pee Vee’s. “Do I need to provide my social security number?” For those who are unsure, the answer is “Yes.”

The United States Congress has enacted a number of laws to improve enforcement of child support obligations. As part of a broad “welfare reform” effort, the U.S. Government has required that states implement requirements to encourage payment of child support. States that fail to implement these requirements face possible loss of federal welfare funds.

The “welfare reform” legislation contains hundreds of provisions. Out of this massive law, a handful of the new federal requirements affect purchases and holders of recreational licenses, including hunting and fishing licenses. One provision requires states to deny hunting and fishing licenses to certain persons in arrears on child support when a court issues an order revoking or denying such licenses. Another requires government agencies to obtain Social Security numbers from applicants for recreation licenses, including fishing licenses.

Here is another regulation that I feel all parents should know who have young children.
  • An adult who assists a child by casting or retrieving a fishing line or fishing rod is not required to possess a valid fishing license provided that the child remains within arms’ reach of the assisting adult and is actively involved in the fishing activity.
  • An adult may assist a child by baiting a hook, removing fish from the line, netting fish, preparing the fishing rod for use and untangling the line without possessing a valid fishing license. There are a number of Pennsylvania waters that are available to fishing exclusively for children 12 years of age and younger and persons who have certain physical and mental impairments.

Paul J. Volkmann (12/31/2008)
You can contact me by email